First Post
Ok, folks, this is it...my first official blog. Bear with me as I fumble through trying to post to it.
So I went to the St. Paul Farmer’s Market Saturday morning. I originally went to St. Paul because I was going to donate some books to the Books For Africa organization. I figured since I was sans famille and was driving down there anyway, I should go to the Farmer’s Market and check it out. It’s about a 45 minute drive from my town northwest of the Twin Cities, without traffic.
The first surprise was the Books for Africa drop-off. The instructions said that it was in a “warehouse complex” near the old Stroh’s brewery*. Well, I have never actually been to a real commercial brewery before, even though I have relatives in Golden, Colorado. When I got near the area, I thought I was driving past an old power station, because there was a huge building with the words, “POWER STATION” in that great 1930’s kind of font. However, the next huge warehouse-y kind of building had “FERMENTATION” above its door in the same lettering. As I drove another 2 blocks to the drop-off site, I realized that ALL these buildings were in fact the old Stroh’s brewery!! I think St. Paul has a hidden tourist attraction on its hands.
The Farmers’ Market was nice, and it was a gorgeous day. There was a live Cajun/country band playing. I got watermelon for Chad, as well as some red bell peppers for less than in the stores, tomatoes, and some basil to make pesto. Then, I went to the Black Dog Café for lunch. It was ok, but it was one of those places that kind of makes me roll my eyes when I go in. I would call it trendy, but the trend has gone on for about fifteen years now, so I don’t know what the word is. Anyway, the wait staff are all young females with Bettie Page haircuts, multiple tattoos, and body piercings. NOT THAT THERE’S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT….but it’s getting predictable. There’s always a bunch of free alternative newspapers and flyers for indie bands at the front of the room. The food is good, but overpriced. Maybe I’m just getting old, but I’d rather be at Crostini's. Or even Perkins.
*Did you know that “Stroh’s” sounds like the Czech word for “upstairs?” It’s true.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home