Pray for me
I had a horrendous morning at work. Patient privacy prohibits me from saying more. A constant dilemma in my profession is: how much responsibility do we have as doctors to protect our patients if they reject our care? In pediatrics, it's not quite as difficult--you are required by law to protect the baby--but you still can't force parents to do things that they don't want to do if it's not OBVIOUSLY and IMMEDIATELY life-threatening to the child.
A more cynical way to phrase this is: How much do I have to personally sacrifice to protect stupid people from themselves?
Pray for me and the hospital staff who are dealing with this situation. We're gonna need it!

3 Comments:
So sorry to hear this Val! I will pray and hope that God's will be done!
My job at the end of the day can be stressful, and I like to throw my hands up and scream. But at the end of the day, it's banking.
I can't imagine the heart ache you must get from many of the frustrating things that could happen. You are dealing with a persons life and well being. You actually deal with life and death...I don't. Your in my prayers starting right now.
I don't envy your job. It would be bad enough if an adult was ignoring medical advice... but when you know that the child really has no say in how the parents will take care of them... frustrating, to say the least.
Post a Comment
<< Home